For my last post, I posted an essay from back in the days. Tinkering with this installation of WordPress – making minor changes to the CSS, trying to configure syncing my Twitter and Facebook page and taking up two different personal projects blogging took a back step yet again :(.
After two failed attempts (1 & 2) to get going on an Ubuntu system, I finally have my system configured (with help from Dr. Khelu). The boot up time is significantly reduced and I am having a swell time housekeeping – finding Linux alternatives for Windows applications that I was rather accustomed to.
For starters, a list of programmes that have been very becoming
- VLC media player (Video editor that is also available for windows)
- AVIdemux (free video editor/converter that is also available for windows)
- GWget (GUI enabled download manager; alternative for Orbit)
- Exaile Music player (alternative for Foobar 2000)
- Transmission bittorrent client (alternative for utorrent)
- Wine (to run programmes native to the Windows OS)
- Chrome (Web browser also available for windows)
- F-spot photo manager (photo management software, alternative for Picasa) Picasa is also available for linux;
All applications can be downloaded using the Synaptic Package Manager native to Ubuntu.
My last effort at Ubuntu waned because I couldn’t find a suitable PPOE client back then and was a bit ticked off as I had to download loads of additional software (read codecs) just to watch movies and listen to mp3.
This time around, after acquiring a cheap router and directions from Khelu to download/update the proprietary codecs required for mp3 playback later, I am a happy Ubuntu newbie and seriously considering not going back.
Amarok, a very hyped music manager has been the only disappointment so far; the learning curve might need to be reinvented with GIMP (free alternative for Adobe Photoshop) but that’s a long way ahead.
I am definitely looking forward to getting my hands dirty with Bluefish text editor (regex enabled text editor; an alternative for Notepad++)
My first post off a Linux system and am loving it 😀