- the evenings here in Kathmandu are windier; the days are equally warmer (summer is in). But is it earlier than usual?
- brief heavy showers tag along, while thunder and lightning punctuate the dark evenings (we still have a few hours of load shedding in spite of the recent lax in the load shedding hours).
- Running water from the government issued taps are always “no shows” (apparently the water levels in our reservoir has gone down).
- I got bit by a mosquito the other day which is pretty abnormal this time of the year;
- The bitch (I mean the she-dog) at home is in season (estrus/heat) again unlike last year when this incident only happened once around October.
- Additionally, news about food shortage, droughts constantly plague the media
Are these all events courtesy of the much dreaded Climate Change?
My inferences blaming the climate for the aberrant weather or my dog’s inclination for fornication mean diddly squat scientifically. Yet, I am happy to adjudge all blame for all things unexplained, on the ubiquitous Climate Change.
The aforementioned events might have been benign and have never crossed my mind (or anyone else’s for that matter), had it not been for the offhanded association of all things abnormal with Climate Change/Global Warming. Constant mongering of the hazards, catastrophes associated with Climate Change have made CC ubiquitous. Every other person in the sane world has his/her say on CC and everyone pitches in their say just for the kicks.
- administering caps on our carbon emissions (Emission Caps),
- setting up shop and mechanisms to trade the ever elusive Carbon (Carbon trading),
- taking stock of what miles out food/daily items has travelled (Carbon footprint),
- forcibly injecting carbon back into the earth (Carbon Capture & sequestration),
- taking evasive action (offsetting our carbon)
and a lot more……
We are doing our bit to save the world from the omnipresent danger of Climate change. We are dead certain that Climate change is happening but haven’t been able to pinpoint when this calamity is to come or to what extent the damages will be. We have only speculated the extent of the damages as Climate science still remains a big conundrum. After all, climate change is but a science and like all sciences is prone to errors, misinterpretations and the likes.
Note: I am a firm supporter that Climate Change is for real, but the fact the facts are often misconstrued and most make a buck without even making a dent on the problem at hand, bugs me.